The recipes I select must meet certain guidelines to be included here with the possible exception of Sweet Treats since those are meant to be enjoyed infrequently and in smaller quantities. My purpose is to offer wholesome and delicious dishes that will fit into most people’s diet and health goals. Real ingredients are a must and whole foods are always best. I avoid the use of artificial sweeteners and highly processed oils and margarines. To better evaluate a recipe for your particular use, I include the nutrition information. I also note the presence of particular food allergens for those with allergies or sensitivities and offer substitution ideas if appropriate. I hope you find these recipes delicious and satisfying.
All recipes are evaluated based on the 2015 Dietary Guidelines for Americans and must:
- Be relatively low in saturated fat
- Contain 0 grams trans fat
- Be low to moderate in sodium (400 mg or less per serving)
- Contain minimal amount of added sugar and overall moderate in carbohydrates
- Contain some fiber (if applicable to the food)
- Not be excessive in calories (less than 500 calories for main dishes and 200 calories or less for snacks and desserts.
Nutrition facts are given and include total calories per serving, total fat, saturated fat, total carbohydrates, sugars, dietary fiber, protein, sodium and potassium.
Recipes are original unless otherwise specified and may be shared with others with acknowledgement of the source. Recipes from other sources will be properly credited and if revised from the original, any modifications are noted.
Feedback is appreciated and comments are welcome for each recipe.